Monday, January 9, 2012

Turkey Lettuce Wraps






Per my husband's request, I am trying to find some tasty ways to eat dinner without breaking the caloric bank. Today's experiment involved ground turkey, which I am ashamed to say I had never used until about 2 hours ago. However, this turned out to be successful and easy. The only downside is that I don't always have these ingredients at hand, so I really do have to plan ahead when I want to make this next time. This recipe fed the two of us, with plenty of leftovers, so adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp ground ginger root
2 tsp. Sriracha (or more if you're not a chicken like me)
1/4 c. Hoisin sauce
2-3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce (adjust for your preference)
1/4 c. sliced almonds (or chopped peanuts)
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
6-8 leaves of Bibb lettuce (allow 3-4 per person)
sesame seeds for garnish

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oil in pan on medium high heat. Brown turkey in skillet, taking care to break it up as small as possible. Add garlic and ginger, then toss to combine.
  2. Once browned, add sriracha, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce, and lower the heat to medium low. Toss mixture until thoroughly combined. Add almonds and toss. Remove from heat. (Note: if you like your mixture a little more "saucy," just add more hoisin and soy sauce.)
  3. Pluck/harvest lettuce leaves from bundle, and remove as much of the watery stem as you like. After turkey mixture has cooled for 5 or so minutes, scoop a large spoonful into the lettuce leaves and enjoy.
Note: I think next time I make this, I am going to add carrots and squash, and use peanuts instead of almonds. I feel like this is an easily adaptable recipe for whatever you have laying around.
 

1 comment:

  1. Ground turkey is my fave. I've actually never cooked ground beef (not counting premade patties on the grill). Weird, right?

    ReplyDelete