Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Best Cornbread




Nothing goes better with cold weather food than cornbread. I am a fan of all variations of cornbread, but today's batch was just plain - to accompany my "not gross" black eyed peas, chicken, and spinach. If you cook it just right, it's moist like a savory cake. I am planning to experiment with adding different things to this basic recipe. So yum!

Ingredients:
1-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cornmeal (I use white, but you can use yellow, or any other)
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. lowfat milk (I used 2%)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. frozen corn kernals (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9" square pan.
  2. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil, and egg until moistened. Stir in frozen corn kernals.
  3. Pour into pan. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Note: this recipe makes (8) servings of the size I'm showing. You can probably squeeze (9) out of the pan if you cut it carefully. :)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm. I had cheddar cheese cornbread at the Jack Daniels restaurant at Opryland on NYE and almost cried it was so good. Yours is prob even better. :)

    ReplyDelete