This is the simplest, most delicious crock pot meal that I would classify as "somewhat healthy." You should definitely try it if you like black bean soup.
- 1 bag dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 box chicken stock
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- sour cream for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado for garnish
- In a large pot of water, bring dried beans to a boil, and let cook for 2 minutes. Let soak for 10 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- In your crock pot, pour 1/2 the box of chicken stock, and add all the seasonings. Chop onion into 1/2 pieces, and add to crock pot.
- To crock pot, add 2 cups of the bean-soaking water, then drain the rest of the beans and add to the pot. Cook on medium-low for about 6 hours. Add remainder of broth halfway through cooking time.
- When beans are tender, blend soup together with hand blender, to the desired consistency. Serve with avocado chunks and sour cream.